Saturday, July 25, 2026

Saint Patrick’s Day or thereabouts:

1) I make sure to get like four heads of cabbage to keep in my fridge for soup and for sauerkraut later, since why let a good sale go to waste.

2) At the one (Irish-y) burger joint in the first floor of a historic hotel where I now work, we have shepherd’s pie and corned beef and cabbage as our specials, and my one (skinny) (balded and bearding) (pun-loving) coworker says the shepherd’s pie is really good because he worked lunch and they had samples out for staff, and we discuss getting one each to-go at the end of the night and splitting them half-and-half so we each get some of each, but the shepherd’s pie sells out really quickly and so I just get corned beef and cabbage for myself to eat at the restaurant, when the night ends.

3) Also at work, a big table of (well-dressed) business-people request the lounge table by the front window, and so I compliment them on how “swanky” they look and I also remind them that they’re advertisements for us and so they should smile widely and rub and pat their bellies when they eat so that anyone going by outside can see that, and that if they do that well enough, they’ll get a 10% discount off their bill.

And, one lady there thinks that’s hilarious, whereas the others seem neutral, or even mildly confused.

4) Also also at work, there’s a state-level high school sports tournament in town, and one group of 40 from the south part of the state that’s in at the restaurant ends up winning their division – I had wished them good luck, saying that they ate with us and so I’d be rooting for them – and also the one (big personality) (redheaded) (Irish-American) owner has to turn down another, even bigger reservation for a hundred people since it’s contingent on a game outcome, and they can let her know by noon whether it will be for that evening or for the next day, but she says that’s just too short notice to get staff and all of the extra food together necessary for such a big group like that, so what can you do, but no.

No comments: