Friday, July 31, 2026

Addendum.

It’s interesting to see hits on my personal website. I get hits from like Germany and Japan, including after article submissions to journals. I can only assume that the editors are seeing who I am, or maybe the reviewers if the submissions got sent out quickly and the readers could immediately suss out my identity?

I also had a weird experience where my article that squarely fit into a new journal’s topic area was refused as off-topic and I got a mildly condescending refusal from a corresponding editor where he dropped in a hyperlink to accepted topics, to which I gently pushed back by pointing out how my article directly matched in multiple regards with what they explicitly said they accepted but his verbiage that was grounds for refusal wasn’t represented in public-facing documents so maybe their editorial board should discuss including some of that in there if these are indeed regnant criteria that they’ll be continuing to use in the future etc. etc. and I wish their new endeavor the best etc. etc. etc., to which he then replied back and “dropped the mask” and basically said that I did too much linguistics for people to understand (and that’s even though their journal flags linguistics as something that they do!).

Anyhow, like a week after that, a curator at a major international museum who sits on that journal’s editorial board looked up my LinkedIn. I can only assume that the corresponding editor circulated my email or concerns and this person wanted to know who I was?

The worst part of all of this is that these people’s current positions and training represents a global panorama of “the best” in this field, and they don’t know what to do with my contributions due to widespread gaps in training. 

It really is just shameful…  

Sometimes I really do wonder what these people do all day, if they’re not addressing major field problems or trying to find ways to do so.

No comments: