Thursday, October 3, 2024

On professions (2 of 2): The future.

It's interesting to me how like the past 3 years I've had no sense of a long-term future.

Most people, if you ask them, they have a professional path, are saving for a house, have to work while their kids are in school, etc.

But me, people ask, and it's like, "I don't know."

Like, I can tell you maybe what I hope to work on with projects for the next 1-2 years, and I expect I'll be at my job and in the area that I live in for at least another year, but beyond that, I really have no idea.

My one (half British) (half Sudanese) friend (the brother of the brother-sister pair) was reflecting on this like half a year ago.

He was saying that everyone knows that your past shapes your sense of self, but no-one talks about how the future does too, and it's very disconcerting not to have anything like that in front of you, but just this big blank space that you can't even provisionally fill in with any relative degree of certainty.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Esta bloga is magnífica, pero también muy filosófica.