Wednesday, October 2, 2024

On professions (1 of 2): Payscales.

Like over a month ago I saw an ad for training program for various trades involved with highway construction, including what you start at, how many years of apprenticeship, and then what you can get up to in terms of money and benefits.

What you can get to is definitely higher than what I make now, but, believe it or not, what you start at with hourly wage is right around how much I make now as a waiter at a very local restaurant with a solid business.

Like, if that type of job fits you, go for it, but it's still astonishing to me how oversold so many professions are -- "the trades" are a big thing that people recommend, but it's a long runway for training and then takeoff!

I mean, if you have to spin your wheels someplace and make a living as you move up, of course you do that in that type of job; that's what I thought that I had in eldercare.

But still, it's just astonishing to me how there's like this huge clump of jobs now with mushy wage scales and not that much differentiation between them.

No comments: