Friday, September 18, 2026

"Up there."

When I recently went to the website of an every-four-years academic congress to check out the presidential address for possible inclusion in a paper that I'm writing, I stumbled on a draft of the relevant bibliography summarizing work in that field over the past four years.

And, my work wasn't included, although I reached out to someone and found out who wrote it and I emailed that other person my relevant articles as well as a book review, since I had noticed that someone else had listed a book review, too, so why shouldn't I list the one that I did.

And, the amount of stuff I've done puts me right neck-and-neck at the top of the scholars working in that field just in terms of numbers of publications, not even in terms of the magnitude of the findings, like two-and-a-half of which are relatively big and which don't seem to be matched by anything else that anyone else seems to be doing.

Funnily enough, one of the few other top people is someone who works as an independent scholar, too.

Just because you're dedicated and do good work doesn't mean that someone will throw you a bone, in an atmosphere of scarcity. 

No comments: