…at the one (Irish-y) burger joint in the first floor of a historic hotel:
I start like at 4pm and so a little bit before that I stroll in the front doors and it’s bright and sunny and quiet with large beams of light streaming through all the windows and no staff are around and there’s just a lone man at the dining room corner table, eating, and since I need hot water for my tea I just walk up to the espresso machine and take it from there like I usually do, and the entire time that I’m in there for minutes and minutes, there’s just no-one around, so it’s like I’m someone who just walked off the street and decided to use the espresso machine, and I only finally see staff when I wend my way through the restaurant and go through “the server alley” on my way to go dump my stuff in the breakroom/changing room that we have downstairs with lockers where we can go throw our stuff before work.
And, before I finally see someone, it’s totally like the beginning of a zombie movie, where life is breaking down and everything is empty and nothing is normal but lone scattered people are in denial and are still trying to force themselves into normality as a coping mechanism, while other people are going into spaces and claiming things because the social boundaries that used to be in place that they’d be violating are no longer there.
No comments:
Post a Comment