Thursday, October 8, 2026

Another day at work...

...at the one (Irish-y) burger joint in the first floor of a historic hotel, where I now work at:

1) I start my dinner shift on the early side at 4pm and am by the host stand wiping menus when my one (affable) coworker who was in the (military) comes in even a bit more disheveled than usual, and the smell of liquor just rolls off of him, especially when he speaks, so to be nice about it and to tip him off and keep him from getting in trouble, I lower my voice and theatrically grimace and am like, "Hey, you know, you can really smell the liquor on you..", at which he pauses all woozily and then is like, "And I can still feel it inside me."

2) Since the name of my one (affable) coworker who was in the (military) starts with an "M" and he's been upgraded to management lately, I start alliterating a lot and saying everything is "[his first name]'s masterful management," like how when he's not busy with something he steps in and helps his employees out or like how he got everything together and all the fills were done etc. and we all clocked out early at exactly 8:59pm, so, like, when that happens, I remark upon it and describe the phenomenon and am then like, "Now that is some masterful management," and when the clock-out thing happened, too, I was like, "That is more than masterful management, that is magnificent management."

He was greatly amused at all of that, too, and at one point earlier on he was like, "More like misguided management," to which I was like, "No, at worst, your management is just midd."

3) I grab some food from a reception to take home but wolf down the two-and-a-half homemade cream cheese-and-chicken taquitos cooling in a catering tray right then instead of packing it up, and then the bus driver rides the brakes a lot on the way home and it's all just too much for me and so I have to go lie down for like two hours before I feel normal again, once I get home, and while that's happening I get a post-work message over the work messaging system from my one (affable) coworker who was in the (military), saying how he can't stop thinking about what I said to him when he walked into work and how funny it was, and I message him back that I was trying to be nice and tip him off and keep him from getting in trouble, which he says he appreciates.

No comments: