Monday, February 6, 2023

Restaurant encounter: Intense undergrad.

A few weeks ago at the (Thai) restaurant where I now work, I was working an evening shift and this big table of undergrads that was mostly girls came in, of the size where you have to go and seat them at one of the few places designated for parties of five or larger.

And, they were chatting and having fun and stuff and looking at their phones, and laughing, and I had to go check on them a few times, and this one (cleancut) (seemingly biracial Indian - white) guy with a surprisingly deep voice was very indecisive with the menu and couldn't figure out what to get, and wanted to know if he could substitute shrimp for salmon on the salmon salad, so I had to go ask about that, and then I recommended another, different shrimp salad, and finally he ended up doing just something simple with noodles, something very standard like pad thai or pad see you or something like that.

And, they were just all there for a while, laughing and eating their food and being a small little source of happy chaos.

Then, finally, after they were all done, I broke up their checks and gave it to them, and I said something like joking there'd be a surcharge for the guy who asked so many questions about a shrimp salad but never ordered it.

"I'll have to come back and try it," he was like, in his deep voice. "When do you work?".

And with that, he looked me directly in the eyes for a number of seconds.

. . .

(!!!)

No comments: