Thursday, October 10, 2024

My mother stereotypes.

For the first time ever in my life (I think?), my mother just laid out a broad-based black-and-white stereotype:

"Indians are rude," she was like, after she had asked me on the phone about how my previous shift at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now had gone, and I had said that there had been some weird customers, and then I explained the thing about how a lot of (South Asian) customers cause chaos and try to change orders etc. after they place them, which I now counter by doing what they request if possible, but then gently being like "Mistakes happen, but we appreciate it if your final order is your final order, to minimize mistakes in the kitchen if we have to talk to the cooks and interrupt their work..."

(I'd never gone into detail like that with her before, about all of the happenings with [South Asian] customers.)

(Additionally, the logic of the strategy is like correcting odd freshman behavior, back when I was a writing instructor; you not only point out correct behavior, but you also assume that they're acting out of lack of information and so you try to explain the full environment and expectations and how things work, though I suppose that works better when you're an authority figure with salary coming from elsewhere, versus a subordinate dependent on good-will and tips.)

As it turns out, when she used to work as a "stewardess" (not "flight attendant") back in the late 1960s and early 1970s, my mom had some customers like that, and that stereotype was a by-word among that profession, to the point where she still thinks it fifty years later (!).

She was also saying that my godmother's (dead) husband had worked in customer service for the airlines for a while, and it was infamous to get a (South Asian) customer on the phone with a complaint, since there would always just be this repeated line about "Compensation, compensation!" and "I need compensation!".

No comments: