Thursday, August 23, 2007

Spanish people everywhere.

On the bus home last night there was this downpour out, and when we got back to my neighborhood, the bus was plowing through these huge puddles, and these four Spanish people near me (the women in bright clothes, the one guy with his shirt open down three buttons, the other guy balding and tiny with a Tiny Tim-like voice) started talking about something with "remo" and "Olympiada". Yes, I can understand talking about the possibility of hosting the summer olympic games here, but do you really have to call black people Uncle Remuses? I'm glad I come from a progressive country.

There's these couple visiting Spanish academics who I've gotten to know this past week since we've been working on computer terminals in the same area of the library. I was chit-chatting with them outside now -- they're taking half a day off and going downtown to do sight-seeing with a friend who lives here -- and I was telling them they should go eat a Chicago-style hotdog. They were showing me the culinary suggestions in their Spanish tourbook for Chicago, and besides deep-dish pizza, spaghetti, and hamburgers, it had "El hot dog". I loved that, how "hot dog" was italicized as a foreign word.