Thursday, August 23, 2007

People making me feel unwelcome; almost channeled my mother.

It's amazing how easy it is to make someone feel unwelcome. Yesterday I went with friends to go hear some blues at the place we went to a few weeks ago (the same place that one mom-type was being consistently manhandled; she wasn't there, just three old women on stools with stone faces, Newports, and bottles of Corona), but the staff completely turned me off. I was a little late to arrive, and I asked the doorman should I call in to my friend who has the free passes so he could bring one out for me, and he was like, "Yeah," and as soon as my friend did that, the guy took it, and I was waiting for him to card me or put a mark on my hand or put a mark on the pass -- the pass was good for two people but I was the only one using it -- and when he was doing nothing, I was like, "Am I good?", and he just gave me this stony look like I didn't know what the heck I was doing and was like, "Yeah, you can go in now," like I was a dumb shit or something.

Then, inside was packed, and I had to stand in the aisle to get a beer, and I had a small backpack with me -- I was studying outside at a coffee shop before joining my friends -- and the waitress just pushed on through and gave me a look for having the backpack and then asked me if she could do something, not in a nice way, but in a "what the heck are you doing here?" way, and when I told her I wanted a beer, she turned from me to the bartended and told her to get me a beer (and she had cut in front of me and took the place that opened up in front of the bartender!), and then waited there with her back turned to me. She was young and had a t-shirt hung down on her shoulders and was very self-important. I almost channeled my mother -- in situations like that, my mom can get bitchy, not in a demanding-customer way, but because it's almost like the waitress is imposing on you to show you her attitude. In situations like that, or when someone's repeatedly making bad jokes and you're not laughing or giving even a polite laugh, my mom will be like, "Excuse me, but I didn't sign up to be your audience."

No comments: