Sunday, August 19, 2007

Reason why I was in Yuppieville last night: "Pierrot le fou".

So, the reason why I was in Yuppieville last night was to go see the Godard movie "Pierrot le fou". Me and my friend were talking with the hipsters who work there -- they were outside smoking while both films were running, since there's no reason for them to be inside -- and they were telling us that a lot of people had been walking out during the movie, but I ended up enjoying a lot of it. Bits of this one scene at a cocktail party is fantastic -- I've totally been to parties where people talk about nothing but the shit they own and what they're going to buy next.

Yet, when we were in the lobby beforehand -- my friend was going to the bathroom -- I asked a woman who had just gotten out of the other movie and turned out to be French if she had seen it, and she said that she and her husband had left after twenty minutes and went into the other movie. Her husband came out of the bathroom while she was saying this and joined us -- he was this black-wearing jackass with a shaved head in his early 40s -- and he just came right into the conversation and was like, "The film hasn't aged well. Godard was perhaps amusing in college, but not now. 'Pierrot le fou'? Try 'Pierrot la merde'," and he choked out a few laughs at his own joke.

No comments: