Tuesday, August 21, 2007

I think I like the Captain and Tennille more than the Carpenters.

I was listening to some Carpenters music the other day, and I actually found it quite schlocky, not nearly as compelling as their life-stories. Their great patron, Herb Alpert of the Tijuna Brass, would look for good acts no matter what the genre, but somehow I can't listen past their music to hear how good they are.

The Captain and Tennille, on the other hand, are magnificent. In the concert footage I just linked to, you get not only a catchy song, but a look into what Americans looked like in the 1970s. I also like this comment from a YouTube user:

He's not a faggot. He's captain of the keyboards.

The back-up singers are also something else.

2 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Both have zero critical acclaim, but the qualitative differences are still enormous, no? Tennille in that clip is sassy and trashy in a way Karen Carpenter was incapable of.

el blogador said...

Tennille really is the more talented singer. Karen had a voice but no good songs and no stage presence.