Thursday, August 20, 2009

Karaoke -- Catch up.

So, I was going to karaoke some during my swingers's bbq series, but nothing too much notable happened except -

1) The host at hipster karaoke said he had added in Barry Manilow's "I Made it Through the Rain" into his repertoire since I had last come and sung it, since the song works so well (and also because, I'm assuming, it starts out with a verse that has the word 'dreamers' in it - "we dreamers have our ways/ of facing rainy days/ and somehow we survive" - and he calls all his karaoke singers 'dreamers'), and then I kicked off the night with Barry Manilow's "Could it Be Magic", which I did okay at, though the first 18 measures of instrumental were excruciatingly slow... Later I did the Buggles's "Video Killed the Radio Star", that a friend says was "faithful" (which I take to mean "good but uninspired").

2) At the gyros lounge, I tried out Simon and Garfunkel's "The Boxer" (good but uninspired) Gene Pitney's "Every Little Breath You Take" (tougher than you'd think), and Donna Summer's "MacArthur Park" (people started dancing and I was nailing it, and then I discovered that they shortened it up and there was no middle verse to drop down on and be all breathe-y and be like, "There's another song for me/ and I will sing it...", AS I WAS GETTING READY TO TRANSITION TO THAT PART!!!).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like singing "My Guy" by Mary Wells.