Saturday, December 13, 2008

Proctored a standardized test this morning.

So, this morning I proctored a standardized test for high school students. This one perky blonde mom was there because her middle-school age daughter was taking it, and she talked way too much to me and the other person checking people in, and when I was nice and suggested she go to a bakery down the road and have a coffee and croissant while she wait for her daughter, she was like, no, i can't, i have to be here for my daughter in case she decides to stop the test, i told her not to be worried if she sees something she doesn't know, because a lot of older kids are taking the test, and then when we were like, oh, the woman smiled and was like, "Oh, she'll do just fine, I know it."

Later, I saw her waiting at a table right outside her daughter's test room. She had a little designer shopping bag with cord handles, and was making Christmas cards with scissors that cut decorative edges, and was hole-punching them so she could put ribbons in.

Also, after seeing an experimental opera last night with a couple friends - a friend of one friend was in it, the first musical piece which was a lot of voices and clinking plates and stuff was good, but the rest didn't hold my attention - I decided to pop in on this battle of the bands contest the one karaoke host here does every year, and the bar turned out to be the most awful hipster thing ever, so I left without even paying to go in to see the bands. The place was in a wearhouse and dark and cavernous and overpriced, and the staff was rude, and they charged me too much on my bill when I got some beer and chili, and then it turns out they were out of chili, so I got some chicken soup, but they brought me a cup when I wanted a bowl, and no one was cool anyhow, and when I could see into the back room where the bands were, it was cavernous and no one was there and they still wanted me to pay $10 to go in for like 40minutes.

"That's not cool," I was like, to the rude hipster girl who was manning the door to the back room.

"I don't care, it's my job to collect money," she was like.

"That's funny," I was like, "Apathetic cool people usually don't care about stuff like that and love money that much."

She didn't find that funny, so I left.

Honestly, hipsters are the least cool people on earth.

No comments: