Saturday, December 13, 2008

A happy or interesting thing: airport grace.

Since I can't stand people who bitch, rather than ask someone I meet how they're doing and risk them bitching, recently I've been asking people instead to tell me something happy or interesting that had happened to them this past week, so that way I don't get a response I don't want to hear.

(Though, twice I've gotten some doozy of an answers - one girl was like, "My mother got her shunt out," and one guy was like, "A friend of mine survived his suicide attempt," and when I asked if he was better now, he added, "He just came out of a coma and is still confused," and when I asked if at least it seems like the underlying issues were getting addressed, he was like, "No.")

So, when I was out with friends like a week ago, I asked this to this one girl, and she told me that when she was coming back through the Denver airport after Thanksgiving, she was in the airport T.G.I. Friday's and heard some people at a table behind her saying this really long, elaborate grace -- she then broke off and made clear that she likes things like this, that when people bring their culture and religion unobtrusively into public spaces -- and then, suddenly the people were like, "Lord, thank you for these bountiful nachos," and she turned around to see this middle-aged couple holding hands elevated across the table and with their heads bowed and eyes closed, and between them was this huge heaping plate of T.G.I. Friday's nachos, more than two people could ever eat.

"It struck me funny," she was like, "Because the nachos truly were bountiful."

No comments: