Monday, December 8, 2008

Medjugorje / police / grapefruit.

Last night I finished this book "Medjugorje Up Close" I had gotten for a buck at a garage sale, about the apparitions of the Virgin Mary in a small Croatian town in the 1980s that are incredibly popular despite no official approval of the Roman Catholic church.

The book was on the pro-Medjugorje side and was written by a Franciscan priest and a nun who had visited there a lot, but what really hit home for me was that the book concluded with a devotional prayer of the both of them to their mother, Mary, that hoped their book would work for good in the world. Somehow it hadn't hit home for me before how devoted to Mary many people are, and the importance such apparitions would have for them, where they would read every message that comes through since it is from Mary, and Mary is the exalted queen of heaven who is the conduit of all graces. Usually you just think of people coming there to get healed or something, and don't think of the grave importance of the vision for them, because Mary herself is appearing on earth.

On another note, last night at 4:30am the one girl who used to throw parties all last year had friends over who were loud in the hallway, and a girl in my building called the police on them, and there were 3 police cars outside.

Last night, too, I was thinking of how like last week I ate a grapefruit right before going to buy something at the dollar store below my apartment, and the counter clerk asked me what cologne I was wearing, he liked it so much, since he thought the smell of the grapefruit on my hands from peeling it was a cologne or something.

No comments: