Sunday, December 7, 2008

The only time my father has gotten viscerally mad at me.

Like my freshman or sophomore year of college, I went home for spring break and used my parents' car to pick up one friend at her college, and then go to another college to see another friend and spend a couple nights there and hang out.

When I got back home, my dad was like, "So did you end up seeing anyone else?", since a lot of kids from my high school ended up at that college.

"Yeah," I was like, "I saw [some kid]," and when my dad asked what he had to say, I said I just saw him, I didn't talk to him, and then I went on to say how I always thought he was weird.

Now, I had already told my mom that I had seen this kid when me and my friend were at a stoplight in our car, and he was like a block up crossing the street, but I hadn't told my dad this, so he just assumed I had passed him on the street or something and ignored him.

So, then, this incredibly, visceral pissed look just crossed my dad's face, then, and he raised his voice and asked me what was I doing, that you never treat a person like that and no matter what you think of someone, you always stop and ask them how they're doing, and in any case you never know how someone is, people change all the time, but in any case you ask them how they're doing and acknowledge them.

1 comment:

el blogador said...

Thinking of this yesterday, I realized that that is an interesting line for a parent to have that their kids can't cross.