Sunday, December 14, 2008

Can't be friends with rich people.

So, yesterday when I was having a drink with my one friend from Iowa, we both got to talking how we've never been able to really be friends with rich people.

"I can't identify with someone who hasn't had to struggle," my friend was like.

Then, after a short pause, she was like, "I think I maybe could be friends with a rich kid who was disowned."

Later, she told me that one of the most awful things she's ever done was go up to a hipster at a bar once who was wearing a John Deere trucker cap and was like, "That's cool, my mom worked for John Deere, where do you work?", and when the guy said he didn't work for John Deere, she played dumb and was like, "Oh, then why are you wearing that cap? I don't know why someone would wear a cap for a company they don't work for."

She added that her mom did in fact work for John Deere at one time, and that she doesn't like how hipsters pretend to be salt-of-the-earth types, when they're really just a bunch of rich kids, mostly.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

After all these years at Harvard, you'd think I'd have become friends with someone rich by now.