Saturday, March 15, 2008

My book for the weekned: Tempest Storm's memoirs.

So, my weekend book this weekend is "The Lady is a Vamp", Tempest Storm's memoirs, which has the tagline, "Tempest Storm's tale is as touching as it is titillating." I'm like more than halfway done already, since you can't stop after an introduction where she talks about the time in her life where she spoke to her daughter for the first time after a decade apart, which led her to realize she should write her life's story (quote from p. vi):

I want Patty to know both women, the public and the private Tempest Storm. I want her to understand how I lived so much of my life unclothed before a world that refused to see the real me, the woman beyond the performance...

Also, from her reflections on how kids in her rural Georgia school back in eighth grade used to make her life awful (p. 6):

They liked to tease me about my large bust and crooked teeth. Because of that, I wore very tight brassieres and smiled very little.

A big thing in her life was her crooked teeth. When she moved up from head chorus line girl to stripper, the chorus line trainer arranged a payment plan for her to get them fixed.

No comments: