Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Thomas Merton on the French.

From Thomas Merton's The Seven Storey Mountain, orig. published 1948, p. 57, discussing his boyhood days in France when his father, a painter, lived there:

But these French children seemed to be so much tougher and more cynical and more precocious than anyone else I had ever seen. How, then, could I fit them in with the ideal of France which my father had, and which even I had then in an obscure and inchoate form? I suppose the only good answer is 'corruptio optimi pessima'. Since evil is the defect of good, the lack of a good that ought to be there, and nothing positive in itself, it follows that the greatest evil is found where the highest good has been corrupted. And I suppose the most shocking thing about France is the corruption of French spirituality into flippancy and cynicism; of French intelligence into sophistry; of French dignity and refinement into petty vanity and theatrical self-display; of French charity into a disgusting fleshly concupiscence, and of French faith into sentimentality or puerile atheism. There was all of this in the Lycee Ingres, at Montauban.

No comments: