Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Quality conversation with my dean: Music music music.

I had to stop by the office of one of my deans today, the one who I got an Ebony, Jr., coloring book from 1972 as a gift when I ran across them sold cheap at a book fair booth this spring -- in Lil' Tuffy's ABCs, "B" was for "brothers", "I" was for "Isaac Hayes", and "P" was for "power sign", among others, and it turns out that her parents used to subscribe for her and her brother and sisters -- and we ended up talking about music stuff since her and her husband just dropped off their teenage son at a fine arts boarding school. Somehow we got to talking about the relative merits of songwriters and producers, and I was like, "It's like how in the 70s everyone wanted a song by that one guy from Chic," and she clapped her hands and went back in her rolley-chair and was like, "I love Chic!" Later in the conversation, I also mentioned Taste of Honey, and she was like, "They are so cool, who doesn't know the bass line from Boogie-Oogie-Oogie; I totally wanted to be the bass player when I was growing up, she's so awesome."

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

Oh my God, "I'm Coming Out" and "The Boss?" I can't wait to see the clip. But 1981 was pretty well the last year anyone would ever think she was cool.