Wednesday, September 19, 2007

At the black bar near my house again: winks, theft, and a little Earth Wind and Fire.

Me and a guy I know who's been doing research at the university archives for the past few days went out for drinks last night, so I took him around to several bars, including my favorite one, the black neighborhood bar near my house. I didn't pay much attention to the jukebox beyond noting that at one point Earth Wind and Fire's "September" was playing, though at one point I looked over towards it and this forty-something black woman with red hair and a leopard-inspired shirt caught my eye and smiled.

Also in the bar was this one bum who I saw sitting out on the sidewalk over the weekend who's lanky and has dreads and wears a mock leopard-skin-covered cowboy hat and a metal-stud-studded leather jacket, and who is trying to sell packs of incense and Indian meditation booklets to get back to California, he says. He was kind of walking around and standing near the bar and was making me a little nervous, and he kind of stood by the bar to my left for a while after the person there left -- the bar was decently full -- and all of a sudden a black guy from a couple seats over was like, "Hey, I saw you, you don't do that," and the bum threw a dollar back on the bar and was like, "Hey man, I wasn't doing anything," and ambled out the door when the bartender walked towards that end of the bar to find out what was going on.

1 comment:

JUSIPER said...

You are a black jukebox chick magnet.