Sunday, August 25, 2024

Some restaurant drama…

...at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now:

The one (newer) (older) (female) (Chinese-Thai) cook seems upset and my one (younger) (female) (Guatemalan) coworker tells me that she was crying, and there’s something between her and the one (older) (Chinese-Thai) cook where he yelled at her, I guess, and when I mention this to my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker, she says that she doesn’t know and that she doesn’t want to be involved.

. . .

(I’ve noticed that most of my [Thai] coworkers as well as the [Thai] restaurant owners have this interpersonal strategy of leaving people alone and just passing over things to keep peace in a way that’s very distinctive – like, I don’t know what [native-born] [non-Thai] [Americans] would do with these different situations, but, it wouldn’t be conflict avoidance like that, like I see all of them always doing. It really must be this culture-derived approach, I do think. It's very subtle, but it's there, consistently.)

No comments: