Thursday, June 20, 2024

Schedule mix-up and aftermath.

So, the other week with the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, I knew I was working that Sunday like I had been for the past month-and-a-half, but I was just up and making coffee and looking at my phone, and right then a text comes in and it’s my one (chubby) (Thai) coworker, and she’s like, where are you, and I realize that I had misremembered my schedule and I wasn’t working Sunday dinner like I had been for the past five or six weeks, but rather Sunday lunch, and the restaurant was open and she was all by herself and had been for like fifteen or twenty minutes.

Oh crap, I thought, so I texted her back that I had messed up the schedule and was coming right away and I would be there in ten minutes, and so I went to swish toothpaste through my teeth and throw on my work clothes and dump my coffee in a(n insulated) (ceramic) (to-go) cup so I could sip it right then and on my way to work, as I also ate a banana and ran out the door.

Anyhow, the next week I had to work that same shift again, and she was saying that she was planning to remind me the night before when we were working together that we both had to work lunch the next day, and I laughed, and I played dumb and I asked when does the shift start, is it twelve-ten or is it twelve-fifteen (we should be there five or even ten minutes before the hour, like eleven-fifty or eleven fifty-five).

Anyhow anyhow, the day-of, I’m walking in to work on time, and I see her up ahead speeding by on an electric scooter like they have for rent in the area, and then I walk to the back alley and back in through the kitchen, and somehow she had stopped and paused and was talking with a few coworkers who were doing food prep, so I immediately ducked around by the stoves to hustle down the hallway towards the timeclock, and by the time she saw what I was doing and tried to follow me, it was too late, and I had clocked in before her.

“Where are you?”, I turned around and said to her, as she stood there not clocked in yet. “I’m here and you’re not here. What’s happening?”

No comments: