Wednesday, June 19, 2024

An unfortunate joke at someone’s expense.

The other week at the one (Thai) restaurant where I work now, it was pretty late, and my one (tall) (skinny) (Latino-American) coworker who just graduated high school came in with his (cool) girlfriend and another friend of theirs and they were all dressed up all edgily, with her in like short shorts and a tank-top and piercings, and him in (black) slacks and a (white) ruffled dress-shirt and a (black) bowtie, but put together kind of off, I guess to make it punk.

“Oh my god you look like Chippendale’s,” I blurted out.

“What’s that?”, he was like, though.

So, I had to explain it to him.

“It’s like Magic Mike,” I was like, and he didn’t know what to say, and he also seemed slightly embarrassed because he didn’t realize that he was matching their uniform.

At the end of the night, too, the (husband) (Thai) restaurant owner asked me what I had said to him, since I guess my one (older) (Thai) coworker who’s a whiz at the phones had told him vaguely about the incident, and when I said that he looked like Chippendale’s, he just gave out this big belly-laugh, and my one (older) (Thai) coworker who’s a whiz at the phones started laughing, too.

So, I guess they knew what Chippendale's was.

No comments: