Saturday, June 19, 2021

Food stories (2 of 3): Knishes and blintzes and yellow foods.

Also at the resthome like a month ago, they had a food meeting for residents, and the one resident who likes to tell jokes suggested that they make knishes for everyone, and the one (Balkan) kitchen manager took notes and said she'd look into it.

And, like a week or two later, I show up to work, and I see that on the menu for lunch that day that there'd been knishes!

So, I asked around, and it turns out that people liked them in general or thought that they were okay, and I got a bit regretful that I hadn't gone down to the kitchen right away when I had gotten onto shift to see if they had any left over that I could have tried.

Then, that night there was cheese blintzes, and a lot of my coworkers gave me all of theirs or one of theirs, since they didn't tend to eat all of them that they were given, they were so rich.

I also remarked that the foods that day for that particular meal were all very yellow, since the food was either blitnzes (yellowish crepes!) or a vegetable lasagna (light yellow cheese on top!), and dessert was either lemon meringue pie or canned pineapple, and the one (Ghanaian-American) kitchen manager was like to me, "Because it's spring!", when I pointed out how everything was color-coordinated.

Towards the end of the night, too, I was assisting the one resident who likes to tell jokes, and I asked him if his mother made knishes at home.

"No," he was like, "My grandmother."

No comments: