Tuesday, June 15, 2021

Ice cream story (2 of 2): Near my residence.

Back this spring on a very warm day, I strolled up to the one ice cream store near my house to go get a two-scoop cone like I sometimes do, and there was a (younger middle-aged) (black) couple in the store, a (balding) guy with a moustache and a beard and a big belly and a (slightly taller) (bigger framed) (darker) (chunkier) lady with upswept curls, which all in all was very odd since the neighborhood that I live in isn't especially black.

And so, since they were trying samples from a ton of flavors and it looked like they hadn't been there before, I decided to be all chatty and nice, which is usually like I am anyhow, anyway.

"Have you tried the Zanzibar chocolate?" I was like, pointing to the flavor that I was wanting to order that day. "It's really good."

Then, all of a sudden, I was like, Oh fuck, and though the lady was like, "Yeah, I tried that, it's good," I was like, Oh shit, I have to say something else now so they don't think I meant that.

And so, I was like looking around the cooler for some other flavor discovery that I had recently made, and I saw the one new flavor with bananas in it, and before I even thought about what I was doing, I pointed it out to them and I was like, "That one's good, too," and as soon as I said that, I was like, Oh fuck, not again, and so I scrambled and pointed to this other newer flavor that I like that has coconut in it.

And then again it hit me how what I was doing could come off again and I was like, Oh fuck, as the lady replied that she didn't care for coconut, though fortunately not in a way like suspecting me of anything, but more like she just didn't like coconut.

But by that point, though, I was panicky and so I was like, Please, please let me find a flavor that doesn't come off like that, and so I saw this raspberry cheesecake flavor that I'd never tried before, and so then I thought about raspberries and then I thought about cheesecake in turn and I realized that it was probably okay for me to recommend it to them, and so I mentioned that fourth flavor to them, even though it was a put-on for me and it was something that I'd never actually tried before.

"If you like cheesecake, that's worth trying, too," I was like.

"Interesting," the lady said, and at that point the (short) (white) (fatter) (early 30s) counterwoman chimed in and was like, "And when this tub runs out, we don't have any more for a while, the replacement tub is blueberry cheesecake!"

"Really?", the (black) lady was like, and they want on chatting from there, and I was like, Phew.

Then, the (black) couple said they weren't sure what they wanted and that I could go ahead of them in line, and so I ordered a two-scoop cone like I usually do, this time with Zanzibar chocolate and something with salt or caramel in it or some shit like that.

"How's it going?", I was like, to the counterwoman, when I got up to the cash register at the end of the long cooler.

"All right, I'm tired, but everyone is tired today," she was like.

"Really?", I was like, "Me too," and then I mentioned how on my days off now I don't get on myself for sleeping in or anything like that, since we're in the middle of a pandemic and you have to go and cut yourself some slack in the big scheme of things.

And, she said that she didn't think that the coronavirus was really a natural thing, but it was put out there by the government to cut down the population.

"But that's just me and the way I think," she was like, "You don't have to believe it."

No comments: