Saturday, November 5, 2016

The tenured aristocracy.

I'm getting more and more fed up with the tenured aristocracy.


I sit in class as a freshman writing TA, and though I grade half the kids' fucking papers, I make a third of the money, maybe less, and with much more instability.


It also pisses me off since if I could have just slid over this financial hump and actually got into applications and secured a position, I could have been teaching the class as well, which I'm perfectly capable of doing at this point in time.


I've very much enjoyed my library job too, but lately when I've been shelving books, I keep thinking, "Who returned this, some tenured f*ck whose career I'm propping up with my work?", and it makes me sick to think that they get to research while I have to scrape for money, including by shelving the books they glanced at.


Honestly, more and more I feel like a trapped indentured servant, teaching and correcting and shelving for these assholes who don't appreciate what I do and who I can never become, since the tenure track promise is broken.


I simply cannot wait to be out of this negative atmosphere.


Also, the atmosphere of higher ed is getting shittier and shittier and much less enjoyable, so although I'm sad becuase of the trends towards inequality, it doesn't bother me at all that the jobs of tenure-track profs are getting more and more unpleasant.

Those people deserve it.

No comments: