Sunday, November 30, 2014

My favorite thing about Chicago's new archbishop...

..as a kid his parents made him take Croatian folkdancing lessons!:

AC:
And do you see a mirror-- or a window-- between seeing that impact on others and the impact that God had on your own parents and your own family?
BC:
Oh, I think so. You know, we were very tied to that church. We were about four or five blocks away. I mean, we went to school there. We served Mass. We each had our hour of adoration where we'd go up and my mother was up early, like 5:00 in the morning on Tuesday or I don't know what her hour was. And so was my dad. And then we would sing in the choir on Sunday. We would be a part of most everything on Wednesdays, because it was a Croatian parish, we would go up there and learn folk dances, Croatian folk dances.
AC:
Are you good?
BC:
No, well, I probably still could remember a few steps but we would rather be on the baseball field, the guys would. But nonetheless, we had to go up there and do that. And we performed for various groups in these various costumes. So that was all part of the church experience. It was kind of the pool we swam in.
. . .

No comments: