Tuesday, December 2, 2014

Am I giving too much time and effort to teaching?.

I'm wondering if I'm giving too much time and effort to teaching.

I make up new handouts if problems arise, though I feel bad if my lesson plan doesn't come off as good as I hoped the first time.

Oftentimes, though, I wish I had more time to spend on preparation, although I would if I was better paid (since that way I wouldn't have to work so many jobs, and I could devote more time to each job that I do work).

On the other hand, I look at student effort, and it's only really like one-sixth of the art kids that are giving consistent effort where I'm constantly impressed by how they respond, and maybe like one-twentieth of the kids at the university where I teach.

From that perspective, if kids aren't responding or giving full effort anyways, I shouldn't be so hard on myself.

Too, the one guy I work for who's a just finishing or recently finished grad student, he was surprised when a problem that I thought I had dealt with cropped up in like 40% of student papers, and I responded by saying that I should make up a handout to head off this problem in future papers.

He said that I could do that, but from the sound of his voice, it almost seemed like that was something extra that he himself wouldn't do, and he was kind of surprised that I'd put that much effort in.

No comments: