Saturday, November 29, 2014

Neighborhood oddness: Supermarket line.

The other Sunday I was in the checkout line at the grocery store in my neighborhood and pulled out a twenty and a ten to pay for my $25 bill, when this (short) (40ish) (dirty-looking) (brown-skinned) guy behind me who had just a big plastic carton of punch on the conveyor belt stuck out a plastic card at me and was like, "Hey, can I pay for that with WIC and you can give me the cash?  I got twenty-five dollars on here, I need gas for my truck."

I shook my head no as the (Mexican-American) cashier subtly looked up at me from the sides of her eyes in a "what the hell is this" kind of expression.

Then, the (dirty-looking) guy went off to the store to get something else as he left the carton of punch on the conveyor belt.

"You get that a lot?", I was like, but she just said she didn't get why he was doing that.

"He was probably short on cash and didn't have any of that, but had WIC money and wanted to trade that for actual hard money so he could fill up his truck," I was like.

"Oh," she was like.

No comments: