Friday, September 6, 2013

Farewell bbq.

At the farewell bbq for the Chilean astrophysicists, both gave a speech, and the first one said that it touched him deeply to see so many people gather in farewell, and that one of the many feelings that he felt was sadness, and that he wanted to cry.

He had a knife in his hand from the lamb that had been barbecued, and then joked about picking out his eyes to stop crying.

The Chileans also left the lamb's skull on the bbq grate, and someone joked about going to leave it near a nearby public sculpture of a sleeping lamb.

Also, I got to use my Spanish with the other Chilean's (monolingual) mother.

When I said bye to her - when I leave an event, I always make a circle and say bye to everyone who I had spoken to, it's something that my dad does too - she said something in Spanish about "the next time...", and though she repeated it twice, I couldn't understand what she said.

So, someone nearby translated for me, and it turns out that was saying, "The next time I see you, you need to speak better Spanish."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's fantastic