Thursday, November 8, 2012

Election Day (2 of 9): Good voters, bad voters.

I met some great voters and some bad voters:

1) One (white) (working class) woman whose (bearded) (fat) boyfriend had just left for work in a car with an extremely booming bass and who probably wasn't going to vote said she had voted, was on him a lot, had convinced one person to vote, and actively reminded like 3 coworkers.  She said she'd work more on someone when she got home!  She lived in this very industrial neighborhood in a rundown house that had a small stone lion on the porch for some reason.  She also had some person's girlfriend living at that address, and had gotten her registered and to the polls as well.

2) The (shorter) (young) (heavyset) (white) (works-at-a-gas-station) girlfriend of the (bearded) (white) guy in the cowboy hat said she had driven 3 coworkers to the polls that morning...  The (bearded) (white) guy in the cowboy hat had drive 2 friends in the morning, and since he finished up canvassing at 7:20pm (10 minutes before me), he used that spare time to call his remaining friends to check up on their votes, and he got 2 more off their asses to vote before poll close, they had meant to vote but hadn't realized how late it was getting.

3) Outside one apartment building where I spent the afternoon, at every entryway they had a box where you could scroll through names, so I checked to see what people hadn't been contacted and then I double-checked to call names not on the list...

At one entryway I reminded some voters who hadn't voted yet (the wife was waiting for her husband) and at another I turned up some voters not on the list, so I decided that was a useful way to spend some time, esp. since there weren't really any other turfs available to me right then.

At like the 5th entryway, though, as I'm going through the list, this (heavyset) (shorter) (white) woman in her mid-50s comes out to get the mail, and as she passes in front of me to get to her mailbox, without even looking at me, she hits the "hang up" button on the box as the phone is ringing over the intercom.

"Don't do that here," she was like.  "Everyone was talking the other day and said how much they hate that."

"I'm sorry to hear that," I was like.  "What's your last name?  I won't call you."

"Everyone hates it, don't call," the woman was like.  "And there's only two apartments in the building."

(The complex did have foreclosures here and there, and I'm guessing some summer people, since it was near the lake.)

"At other apartments some people thanked me for reminders," I was like.  "What's your last name?  I'll make sure not to call up there, I don't want to bother anyone who doesn't want to be bothered."  

We repeated that conversation a few more times and she wouldn't say her last name, then she went in brusquely, and I called up and left messages for a few people (the doorbox rang up to apartments and I guess answering machines).

It wasn't about her and people being bothered at all, honestly, I think she was a Romney person who hated to see Obama people out.  People can try to scare you off like that, and come out and say to not knock on the other door on the porch if a house has been divided into apartments, and stuff like that.

No comments: