Monday, November 5, 2012

Addendum Addendum Addendum.

10) After I came back from my 2nd round of canvassing, I met this wonderful group of 4 volunteers who had also come up from my city:

- A (shorter) (racially ambiguous) (mid-50s) woman in funky coat and big hat.
- A (much older) (racially ambiguous) woman in a fur coat who kind of resembled the lady in the funky coat.
- A (late 30s) (quiet) (white) woman who turned out to be a public school teacher.
 - That woman's mom, who looked all grandmotherly (though aging gracefully) and was in a union of some sort.

I started talking with the lady in the funky coat, and it turns out she owns a major resale shop in the city's big "up and coming" neighborhood".

They had to run out since the lady in the funky coat had lost her iPhone and someone had contacted her about it - she had left it in someone's mailbox (?) - but then I met up with them again at the commuter rail station and we rode in the same car on the way back.

"It's so important to support the president," the lady in the funky coat was like.  "This stuff matters, in this lifetime, to enable him to do good.  I can't do the good he can do, unless I'm a president in another life, but I can support him here to do what he can do."

The older lady in the fur coat also told me how that when she and the lady in the funky coat went out canvassing together, someone came out and took a photo of her.

"My mom is in her 70s and wants to help but says she's too old to walk around!", the woman told them.  "I want to show her what dedication looks like!"

We then talked about food, and the older lady in the fur coat said she really liked the Obama logo cake, and had one piece.

"Why not two, or five?", I was like.

"Oh honey," she said in her quiet voice, "I would love to, but I can't have more than one piece."

"But you worked that and more off walking around for all those hours!"

At that, she grimaced, and was like, "You know what they say, 'From the lips to the hips,'", and when she said lips she touched her mouth, and when she said hips she touched her hips.


No comments: