Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Birthday party.

Since my one (older) (black) (female) friend has retired from working at the library on Sunday nights, I've been meaning to get together with her and this (older) (white) retired nurse who appears to live in poverty and who's lingered on in masters/ph.d. programs for years.

So, the other week, the retired nurse suggested we get together to meet up for Chinese New Year and her birthday, and she arranged everything, but when the day came, my one (older) (black) (female) friend wasn't feeling well and ended up staying home.

As it turns out, the retired nurse, who's very sweet, was eying the prime rib at the cafeteria, but was going to opt for something cheaper, so I told her to order whatever she wanted, since it was her birthday meal and it was on me.

So, she got the prime rib, and the cut was like an inch-and-a-half thick and bigger than her head, and she ate the whole thing and then put the bone in a ziploc bag she pulled out of her purse so she could take it home and use it for soup.

The next week, she dropped a grocery bag full of dry pasta off to me while I was working at a computer on my dissertation, since she's developed an allergy and can't eat the type of pasta anymore she used to stock in her pantry.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a good guy el Blogador.
Her life sounds very depressing.