Friday, February 17, 2012

3 stories: post office; another birthday party; bus.

1) On Feb. 15th I had to drop some letters off at the post office near the university. They had this big tray out of heart-shaped sugar cookies for customers, and the (black) lady who I told about my parasite was like, "Please have some!", then added, "Be careful, the chocolates contain nuts."

2) Yesterday I show up at a restaurant downtown like 9:07pm for the 9pm birthday party of the sister of my (half-African) (half-British) friend (who is also my friend, and who is also half-African and half-British), and so I ask the hostess at the restaurant where the party is seated, and at first she's like, "We don't have anyone here by that name," then she's like, "Oh, I remember, I worked last night as well, they were here then." I had the wrong date down in my planner!

I was pissed at first, but at least I have a funny story. I texted my one lawyer friend from Missouri that now her lateness looks like nothing, and she texted back -

I've never been a day late for a party! -

and this morning, too, a masters student told me about how he was a day late for an exam once, and my one (Mormon) colleague told me about this basketball game date he had with his now-wife where he felt like he was missing something, and then 30min. into the game he was like, "Shoot, I missed the GRE!"

3) On Wed. I got on the bus, and I hear a voice saying "hi!", and it's this (young) eccentric (light-skinned black) woman I know who is not associated with the university, but always goes to public events there, especially if they have free food.

"I haven't seen you for a while," she was like. "How are you doing?"

"Good," I was like, "Just working hard on my dissertation."

"No," she was like, "Don't joke with me. That's impossible, you must be a professor already!"

"No, seriously," I was like, "I'm still a student."

"No," she repeated, "That's impossible! I know you must be a professor already."

No comments: