Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Mormon couple.

The other week there was a dinner at a prof's house in honor of visiting students from several different academic programs. At one point in the night, everyone stood back to the edges of the room and formed a circle so we could all introduce ourselves... The one cool Mormon guy I know was on the opposite end of the room from his wife (me and her joked about it and I was like, "Man, this is just like that breakfast table scene from 'Citizen Kane'), and when introducing himself academically, he was really enthusiastic and was like, "My name is such-and-such and I'm a 3rd year Ph.D. in such-and-such a program, and I love the Greco-Roman context of Christianity, and Middle Platonic philosophy, and Lucretius." Then, after a pause, he got sheepish and was like, "And my wife."

Later, too, his wife, who's an accountant, was telling me how accountants go crazy at 5pm on April 15th, and that usually they go to some bar and everything is on the company and all her coworkers get shitfaced.

"You have no idea how wild accountants can get," she was like.

No comments: