Tuesday, April 13, 2010

...new neighborhood tidbits...

I love all the West African restaurants in my new neighborhood.

When a friend was in town for a sociology conference, me and her and another couple people went out to this Nigerian bistro a few blocks from my house. It's cafeteria style and very reasonable, and they have all these really modern-looking tables and chairs and hand-washing basins and mood lighting, and then everyone eats with their hands. The servers are also on African time, so one of my friends had to wait 20 minutes to get her meal plated up, even though it was cafeteria-style and most everything was ready... The server had to go to the back to get some trays of something-or-another, but then he switched trays, and when he put the meat in a dish, he put the tomato sauce on like a teaspoon on a time, though there was a ladle sitting right there.

Like that weekend, I went back to get a malt soda and use their free wi-fi on Sunday evening, and bunch of Nigerians were watching this American-Idolesque talent tryout for some BET show that had auditions in Lagos, and laughed uproariously at all the bad singers who were trying out.

No comments: