Saturday, April 17, 2010

New neighborhood tidbit (1 of 3): Yuppie.

The other day I was unlocking my bike from off a signpost between the sidewalk and the street on a strip of grass that's in front of the apartment building next door, and this a-few-years-older-than-me (white) yuppie woman who was gardening next door called out from across the yard was like, "Oh, hi, I'm so glad you came out," and she proceeded without introducing herself to say that she'd noticed the bike parked there for the past several days and she's been meaning to check into city ordinances, but she was hoping I could move it, since she's an owner and their building provides a bike rack inside, and having my bike parked out there was an eyesore.

I told her that I tried to park it inside my building, but there's limited slots, so when I have to park it outside, I try to do it near my house in an out-of-the-way spot away from the main sidewalk, and that was the best place.

"Thank you for agreeing not to park it there," she was like.

"Hey, I'll park it elsewhere when I can, just like I've been doing," I was like.

"Thank you for agreeing to park it there," she was like, in the same exact tone of voice.

"Hey, no prob," I was like, "I'll park it elsewhere when I can, just like I've been doing, just let me know when you find out about that ordinance, I'd like to know if this space is still an option if other places are filled."

White people are so uncool.

No comments: