Thursday, January 7, 2010

Stories: My one friend who works the library desk.

So, the other Sunday I was talking with my one (black) friend who works the library security desk at the main entrance to the main library at school.

I had just shaved that day, and my hair was brushed, so when I walked up and said hi, she said hi and then was like, "My, you're clean-looking today."

Then, she paused and was like, "But maybe that's because you're white."

Then, since she was watching ice-skating on YouTube, we started talking about skating, and she said she used to rollerskate a lot, and she remembers falling once and being down on the ground when this really little boy skated up and was like, "I'll help you!", and started pulling her hand and trying to help her up though he was so much smaller than her.

"Thanks honey," she was like, "But that won't exactly work."

"Though," she then added, "Why don't you be a dear and pull off those damn skates for me."

Later, she was saying on New Year's Eve that there were tons of guns going off around her house, and we started talking about gun control some, and I started saying it's too bad that all these NRA supporters who are hunters don't understand the different effects that guns have on different areas, and so they resist any legislation against guns.

"Well, I've had this idea for years," she was like, "But no one will listen to me -- ban the damn bullets, or at least tax them and make them real expensive. Can't bake bread without an oven or gas."

Then she added she's had a lot of good ideas over the years, but no money or way to patent them. For instance, she thought of toothpaste in a shaving-cream type can back in the late 70s, and she wants to create a potty-training chair with a built-in recorder that goes off every 3 hours or so telling the kid that it's time to go to the bathroom, though you could also use it for Alzheimer's patients.

No comments: