Friday, October 30, 2009

More soup.

I made more soup the other weekend.

This time I put some olive oil on the bottom of the pot, sliced up 2 habanero peppers and an entire Spanish onion and sauteed them, and then peeled like 18 carrots into the pot till it was full of long ribbons (I saved the parts I couldn't peel to chop up and eat raw). I dumped some water on it and let the ribbons boil down (they broke up as they boiled down), and then I chopped a couple tomatoes into it to add to the brothe.

Later, like after an hour, I shaved the kernels from 6 cobs of corn into the soup and let it boil longer, and added some coriander, salt, pepper, and a little paprika and chili powder, and I cut up a bunch of celery and let it sit in a colander in my sink to drain.

When the soup was done, I shut off the heat, dumped the celery in, and then put the pot out on the window sill... That was so the celery would get cooked from the residual heat in the pot, but not get too cooked and lose its crunch.

I gave some of the soup to 2 friends - my one British friend, who's a vegan; and my one (white) friend from Michigan who frequents the black neighborhood bar, and tries to reduce her meat intake. They both liked it... I find the cooking very relaxing and the giving away very pleasant.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

have you ever added broth for extra flavor? you can add vegetable broth to keep your vegan friends happy.