Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Soup.

I had bought some dried kidney beans months ago, and never got around to doing any cooking with them, so I tried making a soup as an experiment. I used all the beans (3lbs. dried), and added in some tomatoes, which stewed in, and some chili powder, and then I chopped up some bunches of green onions, fresh corn kernels off the cob, celery stalks, and carrot sticks in there, and let it boil down for like 3 hours or so.

I then cooled it outside on my window sill, and have kept the pot there, since it's very cold out now and I don't have room in my fridge.

Anyhow, the soup is very good, but since I made too much, I've had one friend over for soup, and sent some home with two others who I had drop by with tupperware. And, those two were vegan and usually eat a lot of vegan processed foods, so I was happy to provide them with good cooking! Both liked it, though one added brown rice, and the other a shitload of pepper.

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

Red kidney is the king of beans.

JUSIPER said...

I'm sending this post to my mom.

el blogador said...

The recipe is very simple. My philosophy of cooking is fresh vegetables and a few spices - no processed foods, no expensive ingredients.