Sunday, January 18, 2009

Why Spanish is a trashy and ridiculous language.

This is one of many possible case studies --

A couple years ago, a Spanish friend of mine had a friend visiting from Spain for a couple weeks and they were going to be down in my neighborhood, so I went to show them around, and some of my one Spanish friend's Spanish coworkers decided to come along too, so there was me and a bunch of chaotic Spaniards careening around my (largely black) neighborhood, and invading multiple places -- the local bbq place, the market where you can get schismatic pastries (they loved them), etc.

Anyhow, whenever I show people around my neighborhood, the highpoint of the tour is the new gym on campus, since you walk immediately into this huge circular foyer that has a ceiling two stories up, and up on the second level there's all these treadmills and ellipticals and whatnot positioned around looking straight down on you (kind of like a Panopticon of fitness, as many English grad students point out, a little annoyingly) -- and, since this is its actual name, as soon as me and some visitors enter and they see the foyer, I turn to them and broadly sweep my arms out and am majestically like,

"Welcome to the Cardio Rotunda."

So, when I did this, my one Spanish friend's Spanish coworker, this tall skinny mulleted guy in a leather jacket ("Alejandro"), hadn't heard since he had been busily chatting to another one of my one Spanish friend's Spanish coworkers, so he turned to someone else and was like, "?Que?".

That Spaniard, then, very matter-of-factly was like, "La rotonda de cardio," and when Alejandro heard that from her, he kind of paused and was like, "Oh," and then he suddenly bust out laughing and was like, "Jajajajajajajajajajajajaja."

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

I think you overhyped this story a bit... But it is something you would have said in Spanish.

el blogador said...

Spanish is a ridiculous language. I have told this story to multiple linguists, and we all had a good laugh over Spanish. Maybe you lack some perspectivo?

el blogador said...

Spanish is a ridiculous language. I have told this story to multiple linguists, and we all had a good laugh over Spanish. Maybe you lack some perspectivo?