Monday, January 19, 2009

Went drinking with my one Dutch friend.

I ran into my one Dutch friend at the library on Friday and he ended up coming over to my place for dinner. He had just checked out some Chilean novel to read for fun, and we started talking about reading fiction for fun, which I don't do, since years ago I realized that that shit just isn't real, and there's just as absorbing if not more absorbing things I can read that are actually real, like "Not Without My Sister: The True Story of Three Girls Violated and Betrayed", the book that the Amazon software sent me an e-mail about the other day to recommend to me (it really knows my tastes!).

Anyhow, at one point he mentioned that he hated Jane Austen, and I was like, "A lot of people like her, especially women."

"That's because women are narcissistic," he was like.

Later, we went to the black neighborhood bar. Two young black guys way down at the other end were having a loud argument about whether you could play basketball by yourself or not, and then started arguing with this old shaky alcoholic black man there when he butted in and said that baseball was America's game.

"Take me around the city right now and show me some kids playing baseball," the one young black guy was like, "You can't, but I can show you some kids playing basketball."

"He's got a point," the second young black guy was like, loudly, and to no-one in particular.

Right before we left, this built middle-aged black woman with striking blonde highlights and long nails and wearing a tight black sweater with slits in it that showed her flesh came in and had the bartender bring her a small bottle of white wine and a glass, and she was looking around the bar really really hungrily, you could tell from her eyes.

"Look, she's ready to drag you home," my one Dutch friend was like.

No comments: