Saturday, August 15, 2009

From the "Twilight" sequel (2 of 2): Violence.

From "New Moon" (pp. 534-536), in an argument where she sits down with her now-returned vampire boyfriend's vampire family and asks them if they think she should be turned into a vampire, and they pretty much all agree, but he doesn't feel the same way:

Edward dropped my hand, shoving away from the table. He stalked out of the room, snarling under his breath...

I was still staring after Edward... An earsplitting crash echoed from the other room...

"No! No! NO!" Edward roared, charging back into the room. He was in my face before I had time to blink, bending over me, his expression twisted in rage. "Are you insane?" he shouted. "Have you utterly lost your mind...?"

Edward snarled in fury...

Edward grabbed my face in his hand, forcing me to look at him.

This is never questioned in the narrative. People had told me for a while that the relationship is weird and abusive, but I had never seen the abusive part until this scene.

No comments: