Friday, August 14, 2009

Phone / Computer / Chicken and Waffles.

So, my Tuesday was weird.

First, my new cell phone has been acting funny, and not only does it not send texts sometimes and I have to re-start the phone, but now when I set the alarm on it to get up in the morning, it goes off at random times during the night (and then in the morning at the specified time as well).

Then, after a very productive morning, the power cord on my computer broke, and since they didn't have a replacement at the local computer store but they did at the branch in a black neighborhood north of me, so I went up there to get that.

To make myself feel better, then, I stopped by this local restaurant I've always wanted to go to, "[the city I live in]'s Home of Chicken and Waffles". The place was jammed with (black) people and the staff was all (black) except for one (white) cook with a lot of tattoos, including one of a giant tarantula on his neck and half across his face, and the restaurant had a lot of paintings and tasteful brownish-gold walls, and my younger trim (black) waitress ("Shanise") was like, "What can I get you, gentleman?", and I told her that I hadn't been called a gentleman forever, and she then said that I was making her feel like I was saying I was old, but I told her no, that I appreciated it.

Then, I got the combo plate "Monique's Love", which was 1 fried chicken breast and 1 waffle. It came with syrup and butter, and I put that on the waffle and there was some syrup left, so I dipped pieces of the fried chicken in it.

Shanise also said when I ordered that I could get it on separate plates (because I guess putting the chicken and waffle on the same plate grosses some people out?), and when I told her that me and a friend have been trying out southside restaurants and that I had been meaning to go get chicken and waffles for a while, she was like, nicely, "I can already tell you're going to be a regular."

3 comments:

JUSIPER said...

I know about a place in the city I often live in called "[The city I often live in] Chicken."

JUSIPER said...

How did the chicken taste with the syrup? Next time, could you ask the waitress (or, perhaps, Monique) if anyone else does that?

el blogador said...

It was wonderful, both fatty and sweet. I'll def. ask the waitress next time.