Saturday, August 15, 2009

From the "Twilight" sequel (1 of 2): Submission.

I think the author's submissiveness comes out in this part of "New Moon" (pp. 360-361), where the heroine has been abandoned by her vampire boyfriend (reason: he brings too much danger into her life) and cliff-dives for fun and is unexpectedly swept under by the current:

The angry water was black in every direction; there was no brightness to direct me upward. Gravity was all-powerful when it competed with the air, but it had nothing on the waves -- I couldn't feel a downward pull, a sinking in any direction. Just the battering of the current that flung me round and round like a rag doll.

I fought to keep my breath in, to keep my lips locked around my last store of oxygen...

The cold of the water was numbing my arms and legs. I didn't feel the buffeting so much as efore. It was more of just a dizziness now, a helpless spinning in the water...

I didn't want to fight anymore. And it wasn't the lightheadedness, or the cold, or the failure of my arms as the muscles gave out in exhaustion, that made me content to stay where I was. I was almost happy that it was over...

I saw *him*, and I had no will to fight. It was so clea, so much more defined in my memory. My subconscious had stored Edward away in flawless detail, saving him for this final moment...

Why would I fight when I was so happy where I was? Even as my lungs burned for more air and my legs cramped in the icy cold, I was content. I'd forgotten what real happiness felt like.
Happiness. It made the dying thing pretty bearable.


By the end of the passage, the pain unites with her lover, I feel. And there's the whole thing all the time about how he's in love with her, but also really wants to kill her and drink her blood.

No comments: