Thursday, July 30, 2009

The Swingers's BBQ (20 of several): More from the hairy young blonde guy.

The hairy young blonde guy then told me that he grew up in a really fundamentalist family and that they moved to Dallas when he was young, and that when they moved to Dallas his family got very obsessed with pre-millennial theology, and that reading Ernest Sandeen's "Roots of Fundamentalism" let him realize that that wasn't something that was around forever, but that that theology had a history and a past and was actually very localized.

I then tried to imitate the pedagogical technique of one of my professors and give someone else another book to read to involve them in the scholarly conversation, and suggested that he look at George Marsden's "Fundamentalism and American Culture", since it took Sandeen's thesis and said how fundamentalism involved a lot of pre-millennial theology, but ultimately went beyond that and responded to a whole bunch of cultural changes that happened during the 2nd half of the 19th century, including the rise of Darwinian evolution, but he didn't seem too interested.

So after a pause, I was like, "So are you like a swinger?".

He seemed very uncomfortable after being so confessional, but he took up my question anyways and said that he wasn't, but he was interested, and his friend who he came with was very liberated, and it seemed like he both wanted her and wanted to be like her, only he couldn't.

He then asked me if I was, after another pause, and I was like, "No."

Then, I was like, "But I kind of want to see people fuck."

"Me too," he was like.

After that, there was another uncomfortable pause, and he just kind of got up and left and went off from the porch where we were to where people were sitting, even though his lady friend was still chatting up my friend, and his half-Asian friend had started talking with some decently pretty white girl who had appeared from somewhere.

No comments: