Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Went to a black Hebrews restaurant last night.

So, I had had indefinite dinner plans to get together and catch up with a fellow grad student on campus who's not only British, as I knew, but, as I just found out, also a vegan, which severely limits the restaurant options available, and complicates the whole thing to the point where it makes you just want to call the whole thing off and meet for a drink instead. Vegans piss me off like that; that's fine that they're vegans, but they shouldn't expect to just go and dine with everyone else.

But, I've had takeout from this one soul food restaurant like 20 streets south of campus that delivers to a coffee shop on campus, and since it's run by vegan black Hebrews, I decided this was the perfect time to figure out how to get there, and I ended up borrowing a car from a friend for the expedition, which wasn't much of an expedition.

The way there was uneventful, though I had never driven through the ghetto at night. People drove crazy and fast and passed on the right always or in the face of oncoming traffic, and it was pretty much just young thuggish black men walking around, and nothing was going except for lines at sub and gyro shops.

There were also a lot of cop cars; twice we passed them outside stores, with their lights on, and on the way back we had to take an alternate route at one point since some cop cars with lights flashing had blocked off part of the street.

The restaurant itself was also uneventful. It was pretty packed, and some other white people were just leaving.

After the waiter delivered the menus and I had already decided like five minutes ago, my one British friend was still looking at the menu and was like, "I'm not used to all this choice!"

Like two seconds later the waiter, this tall young black dude with a yarn, African-colored red-yellow-and-green hairnet on, came up to take our orders, and was like, "Are you ready to order, or do you need a minute?"

"We still need a minute," I was like, "My friend here's a vegan, he's not used to all this choice."

"Awesome," the waiter was like, and thumped his heart two sign and gave out a peace sign to my one British friend.

For food my friend got bbq tofu and soy macaroni and cheese and a side of string beans, and I got this chef's special which is like brown rice with vegetables mixed in and spiced breaded fried tofu... Mine was kind of dry, but my friend liked his.

Nothing else too much happened, except when we were all done with the meal and the waiter delivered our check, before he turned to leave, he all manly-like patted my one British friend on the shoulder and was like, "Keep it up, bro."

No comments: